Here in Vermont, folks tend to take living a healthy lifestyle pretty seriously – especially when it comes to eating – and drinking! – locally–sourced products. And no other market around is committed to working with local farmers and producers to supply local products than Healthy Living, with stores in both Burlington, Vermont, and Saratoga, New York. So when Katy Lesser, Eli Lesser-Goldsmith and Nina Lesser-Goldsmith approached us for a new WordPress website with custom e-commerce functionality – we just knew this was going to be an incredibly special project.
Healthy Living had some very clear goals for their new website. Some of these goals included the need to:
- Incorporate their latest logo/brand guidelines, and showcase product photos
- Implement intuitive navigation
- Feature a robust recipes section
- Make it easy for users to sign-up for in-store events
- Utilize a new e-commerce solution for online ordering
In this post, we’re going to dive into these challenges, and look at the solutions we put into place to make sure our client got the site they needed.
Click the image above to head on over to the current Healthy Living homepage.
1 and 2. The homepage is where the adventure begins for most users, and the homepage of Healthy Living’s new site is no exception. Crisp, clean. Gorgeous product photography. Brilliant logo design courtesy of Aaron Draplin [link]. But it’s more than just a pretty face. The scrolling page layout and overall responsive design of the site features panels of information and imagery that work equally well on mobile devices, laptops, and desktops. As visitors scroll through the homepage, they’re presented with relevant text and clear CTAs (calls to action) so that they can take the appropriate next steps (view Recipes, check out upcoming Events, sign-up for the Newsletter, etc.). The homepage, and main navigation for the entire site, has been designed with Healthy Living’s target audience in mind, and ensures that they become regular visitors to the site. We ensured that visitors could easily sign up for the e-newsletter by includign both a sign-ip field in the footer, as well as a small pop-up modal that appears in the lower right of their screen. Speaking of the footer, we made sure that Healthy Living’s social media accounts were prominently represented, as they’re always posting lots of new content across their channels.
Click the image above to see the live Recipes page
3. With the incredible amount of local ingredients offered in the Healthy Living stores, it’s no surprise that their customers keep coming back to the Recipes section of the site. With over 1,500(!) recipes to choose from, it was important this section was easy to search through. We created a new recipes section that allows a user to filter via ingredient or type of dish. Alternately, a visitor can type in their search terms in a search bar in the recipe section and find a recipe that way.
Click the image above to check out the most current Events page
4. Healthy Living features an innovative Learning Center in its Burlington, VT location. They offer a full range of hands-on cooking classes, demonstrations and lectures aimed at bringing culinary and wellness education to the local community. Therefore, it was important that we make it easy for site users to sign up with a new Events Calendar. This calendar can be sorted by several categories, from event type to location, and each event is posted with its own detail page. Users can view the calendar by month, or as a list view, and can sign up for and pay for events through the calendar itself.
Click the image above to check out the online Store
5. Perhaps one of the greatest challenges to solve for was the E-commerce functionality of the site. Healthy Living had been using a platform that no longer addressed their e-comm needs, including accepting online payments, accurate inventory management, and custom reporting for the many departments that depend on timely financial information and order details. Given that this was going to be a WordPress website, we knew that using WooCommerce, would provide a secure, dependable – and scalable – e-commerce solution. Combining WooCommerce, which is a fully customizable platform, with custom programming allowed us to greatly reduce the amount of time the staff spends generating reports on both a daily and weekly basis.
Click the image above to meet some of the awesome Staff
The team here at USM Interactive had a great time working on this project, and it’s only fitting that the image above shows off just some of the amazing team of theirs that we had the opportunity of working with. As this site has been live for more than a few months know, we’re pleased to report a healthy increase in site traffic and user engagement, seasonal online sales have increased, and the amount of time staffers need to spend running inventory and sales reports has decreased dramatically.
Interested in learning more? Perhaps you have a project of your own you’d like to discuss? Just fill out the form below and we’ll be happy to speak with you!